Get a Mortgage Pre-Approval
An important ingredient in a successful home search is knowing how much you can afford. You don’t want to fall in love with a property only to find out it’s outside your price range. To get started on the process, visit my Mortgage Calculator page to get an idea on monthly housing payments.
The next step is getting an official Mortgage Pre-Approval. This is a document from your lender stating how much of a mortgage they are willing to give you. There are two advantages to getting this pre-approval:
- It gives you the peace-of-mind of knowing you can afford homes you view on the market, and won’t have problems arranging financing.
- It’s a sign to sellers that you are a serious, prepared buyer – which gives you the edge when making an offer.
You can arrange for a Mortgage Pre-Approval with your bank or other lender. I know some top notch Austin lenders, so if you want me to recommend a reputable lender, please contact me for a referral.
After you have completed your Mortgage Pre-Approval and know your price range, we will meet to discuss all the “needs” and “wants” for your home. I will set up an automated search which will email you new listings that match your criteria. When you see a home you like, just call, text or email me and we will make plans to go see it. Be aware that most Sellers will not want any Buyers viewing their home unless they have a completed Mortgage Pre-Approval letter.
I generally recommend seeing no more than 5 homes per tour. When you see more than that, the homes all get jumbled together in your mind and it can be hard to remember which ones stand out. I always tell my Buyer clients to keep a running tally of the top 2 homes that they like, so they don’t worry about remembering details on homes that didn’t make the cut.
Making an Offer
When you decide to make an offer on a home, here’s what typically happens:
- I’ll prepare a detailed comp report showing sold values of homes similar to yours.
- We will discuss the price that has the best chance of being accepted by the seller, without over-paying for the home.
- I’ll prepare the necessary documents and present your offer to the seller and his or her real estate agent personally.
- If the offer isn’t accepted, or if the seller makes a counter-offer, I’ll work with the seller’s agent, skillfully negotiating on your behalf to make a deal.
- I’ll communicate with you throughout the entire process. You’re never in the dark when you work with me.
- Once the seller agrees to a deal, I’ll help lead you through removal of any conditions and closing the deal. Then, the home is yours. Congratulations!
Home Inspection & Loan Approval
So now you are under contract on your dream home. There are a few more important steps that you have to go through before you can reach closing. First, you’ll want to complete a thorough home inspection to ensure there are no major flaws to the property. Second, your lender will need to complete an appraisal and send your loan to underwriting before you are fully approved to purchase the home. I help you every step of the way to ensure we get to closing.
Ensuring the Closing Goes Smoothly
Just because the purchase has been made doesn’t mean my work for you stops. On the contrary. There are a myriad of other things I’ll do to ensure the process goes smoothly.
For example, I’ll take care of many of the administrative details on your behalf. I’ll work with the seller’s agent, your lawyer, and your mortgage lender to ensure that all the necessary paperwork has been completed and submitted.
I’m well-connected in the local real estate scene and can personally recommend reputable professionals and companies to help you from a repair vendor to a home inspector.
If at any time leading up to moving day you have a question, problem or concern, I’ll be there to help. You can count on me to be your real estate agent before, during and after you cross the threshold into your beautiful new home.